Independence Day??!!

I am posting it! I am not!...I am posting it! I am not!...posting it! not!

See what a hard time I am having, to decide whether to speak my mind?  Coz a few days back a farmer was labelled a ' Maoist' and has been put into jail, since he asked our CM of the state, what did she do for the rural people esp. farmers (her major vote bank) in the 1 year of her reign?! Democratic, aren't we?  Rewind a bit more, another such incident happened with a 'college going girl' from Presidency College (one of the reputed colleges in the world) and was labelled ' Maoist' for asking 'uncomfortable' questions on a live TV show! 

The recently ended TV show, Satyamev Jayate, showed us the sorry true state of our beloved country. We cried, we discussed/debated, we empathise with the victims. And pledged to be better. And then the Guwahati incident happened to show nothing is going to change (?).

And the lists goes on and on. I have stopped leafing through the newspapers, to try and ignore everything that's happening around me. But addiction to social networking doesn't leave a choice.

I am not celebrating this 66th 'Independence Day' and neither going to wish you ' Happy Independence Day'.

I am not feeling happy about my country or the day. Sure, its a day to salute the freedom fighters, the patriots who gave us freedom from the 'British rule'. They did what they thought they should do at that time.

But we are still shackled by Corruption, Terrorism, Illiteracy, Religious/Ethnic/Society biases. We are still fighting!

*Links are to direct websites or wikipedia pages.

10 comments:

  1. Seriously well said are we truly independent and can enjoy freedom, neither we have freedom of speech nor can we wear what we want or else we are sluts, seriously here if you raise your voice either u will have to apologise or face the consequences.Even i am not feeling the way i used to when i used to be in schools during 15th august,the true story of our country is really so different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those days were the only 'happy' independence days where all our worries was about the dance rehearsals for that special day....

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post Pooja, short yet hits the point! I don't feel the need to celebrate independence either. How to celebrate something that you don't have?! To hell with the politics, the corruption and the games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am choked with words, but then to keep the blog 'clean', its better to limit myself. :)thanks for the support Namita. I never ever felt this way for my country, and I hope to see a change, starting with myself.

      Delete
  3. Hmm you might want to change the map, it's not accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey dear didn't get u..what's wrong with the image?

      Delete
    2. Notice the POK,Aksai chin and a major part of Kashmir has been lopped right off in the map you've posted, that's roughly 78114 sq km of area under Pak and 37555 sq km under china.. Thousands of Indian soldiers laid their lives fighting to protect the sovereignty of the nation,that map is a poor homage to their sacrifice.. Better use the official map of India.. Sorry dear don't mean to be harsh, google doesn't post correct map of India

      Delete
    3. That's okay..no problem...I posted it as supporting pic only and not for any other meaning...would remove it.

      Delete
  4. Actually we were not independent in our school days too..but just we knew less, we realised less..and our world was limited as kids..and now when we know, we realise whats happening in the country..its a pity state.. :(

    ReplyDelete

I would like your feedback on the post. Please feel free to leave a comment in the box below. I will surely reply you :)
Please refrain from using abusive,racial comments. Thanks :)